Friday, September 08, 2006

God's own country...



Just got back from three days in Yorkshire, visiting organic gardening projects for work. I stayed in a campsite near the top of Baildon Moor overlooking much of West Yorkshire. A great spot on a fine evening.

It was an entertainingly odd campsite, populated by a vast menagerie of hens, bantams, ducks, geese and turkeys. We were treated to an accordion rendition every evening from a guy who lived in one of the static caravans, and in the morning what sounded like someone practising their scales, until I realised it was a cockerel.

But it was great to be reminded of the huge views you can get in Yorkshire. I drove up to Richmond one day, and on a clear day you can easily see the North York Moors on the right and the Dales on the left. Richmond particularly pleased me as I actually found somewhere which had some camping gaz in stock: it's the small but important things that count when you're camping, that's one of the things I like about it.

And I found a baker's in Bradford which makes excellent (let's make sure I get this right...) Curd Tarts.

2 Comments:

At 3:23 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God's own country indeed.
Did you attempt to order a toasted Tea cake (some say bread cake) this time?! We almost fell foul of this eternal problem in a cafe in Saltaire recently. The curd tarts from the bakers near Nana's (me mum's mum) house in Hull where the best.
by the the way the link to Baildon is broken.
Chris

 
At 10:41 PM GMT+1, Blogger It's The Gardening Lady said...

The things you remember! No, no tea cakes with or without fruit, but I did spend rather too much time driving round Saltaire looking for somewhere else...
Multimap links don't seem to work for long, so I've changed it to one with piccies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home