Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Loaf
I've been baking my own bread for about a year now. Success has been varied: always good enough to eat, rarely good enough to share! I like wholemeal bread, but it always comes out brick-like.

The other day I was thinking about kneading, and how it is all about getting the protein molecules to line up together, as it were. It occured to me that I was turning the dough every time it needed folding, and perhaps it was better to keep the dough aligned in the same direction. It seemed much more elastic as I was kneading it, and lo and behold, emerged as a still dense but definitely more bready loaf.


I would be happy to present this loaf with some nice cheese and home-made pickle, but I've eaten half of it already! (Mainly with Derbyshire honey).

2 Comments:

At 12:38 AM GMT+1, Blogger Moseley Blogger said...

Yum!

 
At 4:52 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The biggest problem with homemade bread is the heartburn from eating eating it straight out of the oven! As to rising problems.
I think it might be hot hands! also are you leaving it prove long enough, you can also add 10-20% white flour just to help it rise. I also I read somewhere that the salt helps as well but not sure. You can also give the yeast a help by mixing it with the water and some sugar first before it gets to work on the ruffty tuffty wheat sugars . Nigella is good on bread as she was taught by Neil foster who use to make bread in our village in Barnsley and there is the best baker in the world. looks good though. I've been making my own ginger beer lately which is fun.
Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home