Thursday, July 20, 2006

Ryton Pools Country Park

Went on a very pleasant walk yesterday evening, organised by Warwickshire County Council countryside section. Enthusiastic and knowledgeable Assistant Ranger Pam took us on a figure-of-eight round Ryton Wood, which is owned by Warwickshire Wildlife Trust and is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. (
http://www.warwickshire-wildlife-trust.org.uk/reserves/ryton-wood-sssi.htm)

It’s a lovely place to be on a warm (understatement of the day) summer evening. Under the oak canopy it was rather cooler, but still very sultry. Perhaps that was why we didn’t see the White Admirals, nor the Purple Emperor (! but introduced and possibly a lonely batchelor as only one seen this year). However we saw several Marbled Whites (which according to my lovely new book about butterflies and insects which was one I bought with my leaving pressie from the Wildlife Trust is not a White but a Brown butterfly. Confusing.) And several Ghost Moths plus a pair of pink knickers which another participant mis-identified as a hat.

But Pam and I had a jolly good natter!

Marbled White on Teasel in butterfly meadow, Ryton Pools Country Park


More moths

A sultry evening as I said, which finished with thunderclouds looming. As the sun set with a fiery pollution-generated glow I pedalled back home as fast as possible without mowing any pedestrians down (no lights - doh!) and managed to get back before the storm started. Actually it didn't, which was a disappointment, but I didn’t switch on my computer just in case the house got struck by lightening.

Anyway, just settling down with a glass of cool lager and a good book when there was a bit of a commotion on the landing. Cries of ‘get it!’ ‘eek!’ ‘it’s got away’ and a pshhhhttt sound…so I popped my head out and found my two neighbours armed with rolled-up newspapers and a can of fly-spray trying to get a couple of not very big moths. I am now official moth-catcher of the block, having rescued both moths (didn’t stop to ID them) and got the cat in as the neighbour whose turn it was (they cat-share) was too phobic about the moths to go down the stairs. They are really nice neighbours, I hasten to add! Just a bit funny about moths…

1 Comments:

At 10:57 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi, you've been busy over here! I'm glad for all the details about butterflies, moths, festival-goers, and whatnot. It helps build my vocabulary. And the pictures are just fine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home