Monday, April 09, 2007

Revivification

The Easter hols always seem to catch me unawares. It's partly that the year doesn't feel like it's really got underway till after my birthday, with January, February and March seemingly long, cold, grim months. After the clocks spring forwards things suddenly get much better. So I don't usually get round to planning to visit anyone - which is just as well as there were no trains out of Coventry this weekend - engineering works. Why? How many passengers do they lose permanently by pushing them onto 'replacement buses'? How much do they pay the guys doing the works? As most other weekends are already affected I think they should give us a weekend off.

Anyway, trains were running on Friday, so I went to Wolverhampton. Here is a rather lovely semi-demolished building which I photographed with glee. (Then noticed that yet another bit had fallen off my bike, which took about 45 minutes to not sort out very well).


The main reason for going to Wolverhampton (which I find depressing - yes, Cov compares well to Wolv) was to visit the very un-derelict
Wightwick Manor (pronounced Whittick) which is a lovely Victorian house with lots of Pre-Raphaelite drawings and paintings. En route I came across Bantock House, another Arts and Crafts house. I also took the opportunity to go for a spin along the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, a new canal to me.

Saturday, off to Birmingham on the long slow, exasperating bus, but some jolly photography in the Botanical Gardens. The photos below have a watery theme: the first the result of my lens getting misted up in the tropical house.


Sunday was day at home, doing some sorting out. Partly as I wanted to listen to Gardener's Question Time featuring moi (blimey - I don't have an East Midlands accent any more!) Partly as I'm having a bit of an outage - I'm expecting to move house again later on this summer and it was so awful last time I'm determined to have less stuff this time round. But what does one do with the stuff which can't even go to Oxfam? The tapes recorded off the radio in the 80's? The photos of university parties? I hate throwing stuff away, I guess I'll have to make sure it all goes to landfill rather than incinerator, then it'll at least have a small chance of being dug up by archaeologists of the future.

What of course has happened is that I'm havinga nostalgia-fest instead - currently listening to James 'Laid'. Wonderful stuff! Have made the belated discovery that tapes are much more accessible in a cardboard box than a plastic thing with little tape-sized drawers. So not getting rid of them all just yet. Just wish I could REALLY turn the volume up, but I have nice neighbours who like me. Also made hot cross buns. I felt a bit hypocritical putting the crosses on, but it didn't feel right to not have them! Anyway, the nice neighbours appreciated them.

So, today, a bike ride up
Coventry Canal though Bedworth and Nuneaton, which is far better than it sounds, largely because one doesn't get to see either place at all. Loads of cheerful people in canal boats, lots of blackthorn at its foamy best, lots of thorns on the towpath. After I'd fixed the puncture I stuck to the roads, wending my way round North Warwickshire. It's a mixture of somewhat grott ex-mining villages, pleasant rolling countryside, and red sandstone churches. Astley, Ansley and Arley are all lovely though dissolving like brown sugar, and sadly not one was open - but who can blame them.

Back home to toasted hot cross bun after cycling nearly 40 miles. A great weekend. I feel revived and renewed. Wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow!

1 Comments:

At 7:06 AM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blogg Karin. What about this year?

Mick from Coventry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home