Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Late for work...

...because I had to cycle through a river. The Sowe burst its banks and I got wet feet.

Compare the photo below with those in my post 'Sowe in spate'. The level of the river isn't that much higher...

...but this is the result. By the look of the Environment Agency website, the block of flats in the background is just out of the flood risk area. I still wouldn't fancy living in a ground floor flat there.

I was almost disappointed when the Avon was still - just - where it should be. But during the day we heard that it had burst its banks and the road was deeply flooded. At hometime, it being a dry evening, I went to see if I could get through anyway, and I could, as the separate pedestrian bridge and walkway was still a foot or so above the water. But it was quite exciting, with a wide swathe of roiling brown water pouring underneath. A group of teenagers were hanging out and watching the cars which tried to get through - irritatingly several SUVs made it through even though the water was at least half a metre deep.

I do rather like these natural phenomena which we have little control over, but I had to remind myself that someone, somewhere has probably had their house flooded out today, which isn't too good.

NB. The use of both metric and imperial measurements is intentional. Having learnt my maths in the '60s and '70s I was taught both, and it's very useful to have a wider repertoir to use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home